Bute Dining Hall
During the 1891-92 University academic year, the Students Representative Council began a fundraising campaign for the joint Students Union and Dining Committee to establish a student dining hall. John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute (1847-1900), an industrialist, philanthropist, and the recently-elected Rector of the University gave £1000 to purchase a property from the University Senatus at 75 North Street adjacent to Butts Wynd. It was subsequently named the Bute Dining Hall. Bute gave multiple donations to the University. He founded the Bute Bursary, funded the construction of the Bute Medical School building and created the Bute Chair of Anatomy. The Bute Dining Hall remains University property and is now known as the ‘Old Union Diner’.
Sources: UYUC602/3; Dr. Jessica Burdge, Building a New University : a study of the buildings and related interiors at the University of St Andrews, c.1890-1914 (PhD Thesis, University of St Andrews, 2023); Centre for the Study of Philanthropy & Public Good, University of St Andrews, ‘Scottish Philanthropy Snippet – John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute’